Post Reply  Post Thread 
Hack Attack
cm3451

Group: Registered
Sad  Hack Attack

I've been with Ocatch for a couple years, and never had any major problem, till now. My site is being hacked or something. Weird stuff is appearing on my pages... my links are being redirected. Thus far I've had the inner background on one of my menu's change to a moving, florescent rainbow, reminiscent of the old psycodelic days. I clicked on a back to menu button and instead got a picture of a half-naked girl. Other less intrusive but just as "not supposed to be there!" little pictures, etc.
Who is accessing my site and how do we get it STOPPED!!!!
Am I the only one??????
Not happy in AZ Sad

11-22-2008 10:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: Hack Attack

I haven't seen a complaint from anyone else. And, you haven't provides a URL for your web site, so I can't really check for myself. If you provide one, I can tell you what I see.

Obviously, the first thing you should do is change the password to your user account. Then make sure that the files on your site do not contain any of the oddities that you are complaining about. While hacking can certainly happen, it is seldom the case. Have you downloaded anything or installed anything on your PC recently? Have you added any advertisements or site banners to your web pages lately? Any one of those things can contain malicious scripting.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
11-23-2008 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glowboy

Question  RE: Hack Attack

I'm having this EXACT same problem happening to my website. I'll go to one of my pages and there will be pictures in the background that are not supposed to be there. - They are usually tiled all over the background.

NOTE: --- Sometimes if I refresh the page they will go away and then if I refresh it again it will come back.

I sell ebooks and this only happens on 'some' of the sales pages.

** The odd thing is the pictures don't always appear. Sometimes I'll load and refresh the page ten times and it will be fine. Other times I'll load the page and the pictures will be there and even after refreshing I can't get rid of them.

-- Here's one of my pages that I've had these images appear on --- http://infoheaven.bravepages.com/Fish%20.../index.htm

Here's another -- http://infoheaven.bravepages.com/Candle%.../index.htm

This is something that definitely needs to be resolved!

Thanks,

Dan -

This post was last modified: 12-02-2008 10:45 PM by glowboy.

12-02-2008 10:35 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

The first time I looked at your fish page this morning, and did 10 or 20 refreshes, itworked exactly correct. However, now I am seeing some image as background.

What is this file named "PlanningYourPerfectWedding_bg2.jpg"? It is looking for it in the "Fish%20Aquariums" folder. You reference it as a background on the fish page you mention, but it seems to change. When I first saw this image it looked like the following:

But after a couple of refreshes, it changed to the following image tiled across the screen.

On your Perfume/Soap page, you have the same reference, but because the file doesn't exist in the "Candle and Soap Making" folder, it just gives a blank background. If I try to access the image I get a 404 Error.

I see these references in the code. If they are suppose to be used, get rid of them. When they don't exist they are causing your pages to take a long time to load and time out.

Martin E. Meserve
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
12-03-2008 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glowboy

Hi, Martin

Thanks for your response.......

The reason why you are seeing reference to images like "PlanningYourPerfectWedding_bg2.jpg" is because I've been using the sales pages of mine as templates and apparently all the code from one subject matter isn't getting totally erased. So basically its left over code.

I'll go through my pages and get rid of the extra code.....
-----

But, I know for a "Solid" fact that the images you posted are ones I've never seen, EVER!

I've been seeing all sorts of weird images pop up on my pages that were never placed on the server by me.

Because my issue is Exactly the same as the persons who started this thread its obvious that there's gotta be something out of the ordinary going on... But what?

I'm surprised no one else has made mention of this occurrence.

--- However, I have not noticed any pages being redirected like the first poster to this thread mentioned.

** I'll continue to monitor the pages on my site and if this issue gets real bad I'll continue with this thread, but I have noticed a considerable decline with the problem of those rogue images from a day earlier. Maybe it has to do something with the overload on the servers thats recently been experienced.

Dan -

This post was last modified: 12-04-2008 01:18 AM by glowboy.

12-03-2008 07:19 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Well I tried your pages dozens of times from different computers and different network connections. Since you removed those the left over code for that image, I have not seen anything odd about your pages. They all display perfectly every time. In fact, since you removed the left over code, the pages load much faster now.

Are you the only one who can see the extra images, or have visitors complained? If you are still seeing odd images in your pages, it may be time to start looking at your PC. The code for your pages is very straight forward and has nothing that should cause your problem. People don't like to think that their PC has picked up a virus or trojan, but it does happen. You might want to start by deleting all of your browser's cookies and temporary internet files. Then run a scan with whatever security software you might have.

I also go to "Start --> Run" and enter "%temp%" into the text area. When I hit OK, it opens a file browser in the area where all of my temporary files, from various downloads, are stored. I delete everything in there. Then I run the "Disk Defragmenter" to clean things up and make sure everything is gone.

I would like to help you more, but I have run out of options.

Martin E. Meserve
12-05-2008 08:09 AM
glowboy

Things are looking good now Martin.

When I was seeing the images I was also getting the issue happening on a different computer, so exactly what was happening I'm not sure, but all that matters is that things are back to normal.

Once again thanks for giving me the advice about "cleaning" up my page code and the helpful tip about cleaning out the temp files folder on my computer.

Much appreciated!

Dan -

This post was last modified: 12-08-2008 11:34 AM by glowboy.

12-08-2008 11:28 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites