Post Reply  Post Thread 
FTP Connection Refused
wjay1069theexperience

Group: Registered
Rolleyes  FTP Connection Refused

When I tried to upload my site today my connection dropped during the upload. I kept getting the message someone is already logged in. So I turned of my computer, and started to upload it began the connection and then I go another message that stated that my connection had been refused contact the administrator. Please respond as soon as possible as I would like to get my site uploaded.

Thank you,

BrianSad

11-10-2008 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: FTP Connection Refused

That has happened to me several times, and not just with 0catch. Very often errors in the transmission cause a file upload to be rejected. Some tools can recover and try several times, but others simply break the connection. When the connection gets broken you are still registered on the FTP server. So if you try to log in again right away, you get refused. This is on the server end, so it doesn't do you any good to restart your computer. There is a time-out period that needs to expire, before you are allowed to log in again. Sometimes this is short, around 5 or 10 minutes, but it can be up to an hour.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
11-10-2008 04:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wjay1069theexperience

Martin E. Meserve Wrote:
That has happened to me several times, and not just with 0catch. Very often errors in the transmission cause a file upload to be rejected. Some tools can recover and try several times, but others simply break the connection. When the connection gets broken you are still registered on the FTP server. So if you try to log in again right away, you get refused. This is on the server end, so it doesn't do you any good to restart your computer. There is a time-out period that needs to expire, before you are allowed to log in again. Sometimes this is short, around 5 or 10 minutes, but it can be up to an hour.

Thanks a lot! However, I have one more questions. For some odd reason one of my pages is not showing up on the web formatted properly, but when I pull up my index page is show formatted just fine. Is there a reason why this might be happening?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

11-10-2008 06:01 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Well, I don't know what your web site is, so it's very difficult for me to even make a guess. If you can supply the URL of your site, and the page your having problems with, I'll take a look and see what the problem is.

Martin E. Meserve
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
11-10-2008 06:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
polyvoices_webmaster

Question  RE: FTP Connection Refused

Hello Martin, I'm having a similar problem with my FTP access because I cannot even connect. I've configured with the parameters shown in 0catch tutorial but nothing happens.
host: http://www.0catch.com
username : polyvoices.com
password: ******
I've checked several times and I always get the following error:
*** CuteFTP 7.0 - build Mar 10 2005 ***

ERROR:> Can't resolve "www.0catch.com".

Martin, You think the server is down for the weekend or sth?
My already uploaded index page still works though but I needed to upload more than 7 pages I already prepared.
Have a great weekend!
Cool

11-22-2008 05:07 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

I don't know of any problems with the FTP servers. 0catch has been having a overload problems with their web servers and that may be translating over to the FTP servers. But they wouldn't shut down the servers for the weekend.

Anytime someone complains about access, I always give it a try myself. Very seldom do I have any problem at all. I'm having a little issue with my ISP or my router, and have trouble connecting via FTP to anywhere, but I can log into a completely different network, and my access is just fine. I tried with Filezilla, WS FTP Pro, and even from the command line and they all worked correctly.

When I'm having problems and I only have a couple of files to upload, I simply log into my 0catch User Manager and use the HTML File Manager. It's a little clumsier than a FTP tool, but it's usually pretty quick.

Martin E. Meserve
11-23-2008 08:59 AM
polyvoices_webmaster

Thanks Martin, I continue experiencing probs w/ the FTP clients. They all give me the same error message, so I'm suspecting it may be a bad DNS or other configuration provided by my ISP since I had this going on about a month ago.
Let's try da HTML file manager for the time...

11-27-2008 05:27 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites