Post Reply  Post Thread 
please help up loading site problems?
ballindoon

Group: Registered
please help up loading site problems?

Please can someone help, i need to get my site up as soon as i can. could some one tell me how to get my site to be viewed?????

11-10-2008 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: please help up loading site problems?

Making a web site viewable is pretty simple, but we could use a few more details on what you have tried and what has not worked. What are you using to design your web pages?

By default, when a visitor user your URL, the web server looks at your web site for a file named "index.html". So the page you want visitors to see first, must be named "index.html". The rest of your pages can be named almost anything, as long as they have a ".html" extension.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
11-10-2008 04:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
researchthebible.builtfree.org

I'm really new at this. I have several questions. Builtfree.org is my hosting service , they're menu gives me Pagewizard.com to build my site, I call the Pagewizard's support no. I get Bluehost.com (who has never heard of my hosting service) so I click on my hosting service's tech support link and get you at 0catch.com's tech support. Unbeleivable. I really really hope you can help

My url? is researchthebible.builtfree.org (its a mess-now.Some page I was practicing on is there instead,and I can't get the page I built for it to transfer there). The main page design I want there is in a file which I created in pagewizard.com. The file is called bible0/bibleo. I changed the file name to index.html like you said above, It still won't go to my home page.

I also created another file in PageWizard that I'd like iframed in my homepage. That page is is in a file Goggle1/google4.htm, but I cant put it on my homepage to iframe because I have no idea what the whole file name. I've tried every variation I could think of from researchthebible.builtfree.org/Goggle1/google4.htm, added pagewizard.com in there ,you name it. I even tried pulling the page up in my browser?? (like I know what a browser is) ..everything. But I can't get it to work because I don't know what the whole file name is.

If a could get rid of that mess that's currently on my homepage, get google4 iframed on it, and get it pullled over to the index.html?? I think I'd be off to a good start. Especially for this being the very first page I've ever developed. I've been trying to solve these last 2 problems for the last 10 hours to no avail. Once I finish my site I'm going to purchase a domain and upgrade to a much better hosting service without all the popups. I really really really hope you can help.
Karl

11-12-2008 07:16 PM

Martin E. Meserve Wrote:
Making a web site viewable is pretty simple, but we could use a few more details on what you have tried and what has not worked. What are you using to design your web pages?

By default, when a visitor user your URL, the web server looks at your web site for a file named "index.html". So the page you want visitors to see first, must be named "index.html". The rest of your pages can be named almost anything, as long as they have a ".html" extension.

I'm really new at this. I have several questions. Builtfree.org is my hosting service , they're menu gives me Pagewizard.com to build my site, I call the Pagewizard's support no. I get Bluehost.com (who has never heard of my hosting service) so I click on my hosting service's tech support link and get you at 0catch.com's tech support. Unbeleivable. I really really hope you can help

My url? is researchthebible.builtfree.org (its a mess-now.Some page I was practicing on is there instead,and I can't get the page I built for it to transfer there). The main page design I want there is in a file which I created in pagewizard.com. The file is called bible0/bibleo. I changed the file name to index.html like you said above, It still won't go to my home page.

I also created another file in PageWizard that I'd like iframed in my homepage. That page is is in a file Goggle1/google4.htm, but I cant put it on my homepage to iframe because I have no idea what the whole file name. I've tried every variation I could think of from researchthebible.builtfree.org/Goggle1/google4.htm, added pagewizard.com in there ,you name it. I even tried pulling the page up in my browser?? (like I know what a browser is) ..everything. But I can't get it to work because I don't know what the whole file name is.

If a could get rid of that mess that's currently on my homepage, get google4 iframed on it, and get it pullled over to the index.html?? I think I'd be off to a good start. Especially for this being the very first page I've ever developed. I've been trying to solve these last 2 problems for the last 10 hours to no avail. Once I finish my site I'm going to purchase a domain and upgrade to a much better hosting service without all the popups. I really really really hope you can help.
Karl. jkarljackson@webtv.net
I'll including my email. Incase I'm still doing this wrong

11-12-2008 07:24 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Well, initially you my be contacting the wrong people. The hosting service, "buildfree.com", is one of the "0catch" partners. And the PageWizard is just a utility used by the hosting service. Even though it's named the same as the one on "pagewizard.com" it may be much different from what they offer. If you were to call someone, it would be the 0catch help line. But even with 0catch, you may not get a good answer. The help line is really only for hosting issues. 0catch provides you with the tools but you are expected to know how to create a web site. Almost no hosting service provides coding support.

I don't particularly use the PageWizard, so I'm not that familiar with it. So far I can't see any of your pages. When you are creating from the PageWizard, you work with "projects". These are usually save in separate folders, like your "bible0" or "Google1" folders. To add your project to your site, you need to use the "Publish Website" option on the "File" menu. This should put a "index.htm" file in your root folder (/) and copy all of your images.

The projects from the PageWizard are not necessarily visible from your web site. If you created a project name "Google1", with a file named "google4.htm", you would need to "publish" it to make it visible from your web site. During the "publish" operation, you can choose to publish to the root folder of your site, or any sub folder. If you created a folder using the File Manager named "Google1" you could publish your "google4.htm" file to that folder. Then the URL for that file would be like you said, "researchthebible.builtfree.org/Goggle1/google4.htm". It may actually publish as "index.htm" in the "Google1" folder. You can then choose to change it or leave it as is. If you leave it the URL would simply be "researchthebible.builtfree.org/Goggle1/". The server would automatically fine the "index.htm" file, without the need to specify.

Another way of designing would be to download something like NVU or KOMPOZER. These are Mozilla based Free site design tools. You can create your site on your PC and then use the built in upload capability to put your files on your web site. This lets you design off-line and upload your changes only when your ready. You can use almost any free template available on the internet with Nvu or Kompozer.

Martin E. Meserve
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
11-13-2008 06:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ballindoon Wrote:
Please can someone help, i need to get my site up as soon as i can. could some one tell me how to get my site to be viewed?????

Martin E. Meserve Wrote:
Well, initially you my be contacting the wrong people. The hosting service, "buildfree.com", is one of the "0catch" partners. And the PageWizard is just a utility used by the hosting service. Even though it's named the same as the one on "pagewizard.com" it may be much different from what they offer. If you were to call someone, it would be the 0catch help line. But even with 0catch, you may not get a good answer. The help line is really only for hosting issues. 0catch provides you with the tools but you are expected to know how to create a web site. Almost no hosting service provides coding support.

I don't particularly use the PageWizard, so I'm not that familiar with it. So far I can't see any of your pages. When you are creating from the PageWizard, you work with "projects". These are usually save in separate folders, like your "bible0" or "Google1" folders. To add your project to your site, you need to use the "Publish Website" option on the "File" menu. This should put a "index.htm" file in your root folder (/) and copy all of your images.

The projects from the PageWizard are not necessarily visible from your web site. If you created a project name "Google1", with a file named "google4.htm", you would need to "publish" it to make it visible from your web site. During the "publish" operation, you can choose to publish to the root folder of your site, or any sub folder. If you created a folder using the File Manager named "Google1" you could publish your "google4.htm" file to that folder. Then the URL for that file would be like you said, "researchthebible.builtfree.org/Goggle1/google4.htm". It may actually publish as "index.htm" in the "Google1" folder. You can then choose to change it or leave it as is. If you leave it the URL would simply be "researchthebible.builtfree.org/Goggle1/". The server would automatically fine the "index.htm" file, without the need to specify.

Another way of designing would be to download something like NVU or KOMPOZER. These are Mozilla based Free site design tools. You can create your site on your PC and then use the built in upload capability to put your files on your web site. This lets you design off-line and upload your changes only when your ready. You can use almost any free template available on the internet with Nvu or Kompozer.

11-13-2008 04:32 PM

Well as you know, I had tried a number of the combinations to pull up the page and now YOU have to ... and have found them no where. Oh ... and yes ... they were published from Pagewizards file menu via the command "publish website". Oh well ..Thank you so much for your interest in trying to help me get this all resolved.

Karl

11-13-2008 05:49 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

OK, if you have already used the "publish website" command then your files should be on your web site. What do you see when you look at your site with the HTML File Manager? If you published to the root folder (/) of your web site, then you should see the folder created by the "publish website" command. If you navigate into that folder you should see the web page(s) that you published.

Do you see any folders and files? Exactly what do you see? If you have a folder named "Google1" and a file in it named "google4.htm" then you should be able to access it with "researchthebible.builtfree.org/Goggle1/google4.htm". Note that the server is case sensitive. Your file/folder specification must match the name of the stored file/folder exactly. If you use something like
google1" instead of "Google1", the server may not fine the folder properly. I don't see any in your file/folder names but you should also avoid spaces and funny characters in the names.

A little more information on what you are trying, and what you are seeing, may help us get you through this. Believe me, all this stuff is pretty simple. Once you get through it you will be able to handle these things much easier.

Martin E. Meserve
11-14-2008 06:34 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites