Post Reply  Post Thread 
CSS Background Images in Firefox Web Browser
glowboy

Group: Registered
CSS Background Images in Firefox Web Browser

Hello,

I have an older HTML based website and have recently been adding a little CSS to try and learn more about it and to spice my website up a bit without having to create it all over from scratch.

My concern is that I'm currently having trouble with my Background image which shows up perfectly fine in IE 7, but the image is totally invisable/can't be seen when I view my webpage in the Firefox browser.

I was wondering if there is a missing line in the code I'm using below that Firefox needs in order to properly display the image or should I be using totally different code so both Browsers can view it O.K.?

(My webpage links to this code which is on a Style Sheet stored on the Ocatch Host)

body {
background-color:#FFFFFF;
background-attachment: fixed;
background-image: url(INDEX IMAGES/Infoheaven-Logo-Small-2-JPG.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: top left;
}

Just remember that CSS is very new to me so the less "technical" assistance the better. Smile

Much Appreciated,

Dan -

08-21-2008 11:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: CSS Background Images in Firefox Web Browser

You should always post your web site URL when you have a question. Posting clippings of code is usually insufficient. With a little extra searching, I did find your web site.

Your web page(s) are very well suited to converting to completely CSS enabled web site. All that really means is that you take all of the page formatting out of the HTML and put it in a style sheet. This then allows you to use a single style sheet for all of your pages, and lets you take advantage of the "Cascading" part of CSS.

It's good that you were testing with multiple browsers. That helps bring to light some of the differences and keeps the user from being lax with their syntax. IE tends to assume a PC universe, when in reality, most web servers are Unix based and do not adhere to PC standards. Firefox, on the other hand, tries to hold closer to the HTML/CSS standards, and will reject any sloppiness in the code. It is possible to satisfy both.

When your using Firefox, start up "Tools --> Error Console" and click on the "Clear" button, before you access your web page. Then put the URL of your web site in the browsers address box, and click the reload button. The first error you should get is "Error in parsing value for property 'background-image'. Declaration dropped.". When Firefox doesn't understand something, it simply throws it away. You will probably see a bunch of other errors.

The problem with the "background-image" entry is that Firefox tries to parse the line using spaces as delimiters. It sees the first parentheses and starts to process. But before it sees the closing parentheses, it sees a space. This tells Firefox that it reached the end of the declaration, but at that point it's incomplete, so it's discarded. The general rule at this point is, when in doubt, use quotes. So if you adjusted the "background-image" entry to look like this:

Code:
background-image: url("INDEX IMAGES/Infoheaven-Logo-Small-2-JPG.jpg");

This will tell Firefox to assume that the space is part of the image reference. The statement will then be syntactically correct, and will work.

You might find a few other errors in your pages. One that is highlighted for me, when I view your web page source code is in one of your table definitions. There is a missing equal sign in the "cellpadding" reference.

Code:
<table width="160" cellpadding"0" cellspacing="0" border="0" height="1339">

You will also see that Firefox rejects most of your "margin" references. It completely throws out the ones with negative values, but just whines about the zero values. It's usually IE that has problems with negative "margin" values, but Firefox rejects them when they are not referenced to a "float" attribute. My guess is that both browsers are not paying attention to them. Put the string "margin-top firefox negative" in a google search and see all the problems that users are having with negative values.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
08-22-2008 07:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glowboy

Group: Registered
RE: CSS Background Images in Firefox Web Browser

Martin E. Meserve Wrote:
You should always post your web site URL when you have a question. Posting clippings of code is usually insufficient. With a little extra searching, I did find your web site.

Your web page(s) are very well suited to converting to completely CSS enabled web site. All that really means is that you take all of the page formatting out of the HTML and put it in a style sheet. This then allows you to use a single style sheet for all of your pages, and lets you take advantage of the "Cascading" part of CSS.

It's good that you were testing with multiple browsers. That helps bring to light some of the differences and keeps the user from being lax with their syntax. IE tends to assume a PC universe, when in reality, most web servers are Unix based and do not adhere to PC standards. Firefox, on the other hand, tries to hold closer to the HTML/CSS standards, and will reject any sloppiness in the code. It is possible to satisfy both.

When your using Firefox, start up "Tools --> Error Console" and click on the "Clear" button, before you access your web page. Then put the URL of your web site in the browsers address box, and click the reload button. The first error you should get is "Error in parsing value for property 'background-image'. Declaration dropped.". When Firefox doesn't understand something, it simply throws it away. You will probably see a bunch of other errors.

The problem with the "background-image" entry is that Firefox tries to parse the line using spaces as delimiters. It sees the first parentheses and starts to process. But before it sees the closing parentheses, it sees a space. This tells Firefox that it reached the end of the declaration, but at that point it's incomplete, so it's discarded. The general rule at this point is, when in doubt, use quotes. So if you adjusted the "background-image" entry to look like this:

Code:
background-image: url("INDEX IMAGES/Infoheaven-Logo-Small-2-JPG.jpg");

This will tell Firefox to assume that the space is part of the image reference. The statement will then be syntactically correct, and will work.

You might find a few other errors in your pages. One that is highlighted for me, when I view your web page source code is in one of your table definitions. There is a missing equal sign in the "cellpadding" reference.

Code:
<table width="160" cellpadding"0" cellspacing="0" border="0" height="1339">

You will also see that Firefox rejects most of your "margin" references. It completely throws out the ones with negative values, but just whines about the zero values. It's usually IE that has problems with negative "margin" values, but Firefox rejects them when they are not referenced to a "float" attribute. My guess is that both browsers are not paying attention to them. Put the string "margin-top firefox negative" in a google search and see all the problems that users are having with negative values.

Thanks for the great help Martin!

I changed the code as you had mentioned and it worked as I had intended with Firefox.

And yes, I'll be certain to include my website URL the next time I ask a question.

Thanks Again!

Dan --

08-23-2008 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites