Post Reply  Post Thread 
Domain redirecting error
windgrail

Group: Registered
Domain redirecting error

For years I had the 250m.com domain and then last month it's no longer available (apparently the gentleman in Canada who controls that domain is still be contacted). So customer service offered to change my domain to 741 instead. However, any attempt I make for a redirection to be initiated when someone goes to the 250m.com just gets the "purchase this site" page instead of being redirected to the 741 page.

What I do to correct this?

09-03-2009 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: Domain redirecting error

Well I don't think you had the domain "250m.com" but had subdomain on "250m.com". Ocatch is a partnership between multiple domains. "250m.com", "150m.com", and "741.com" are just a few. The last time I saw a count it was around 50 domains. My web site is subdomain hosted on "150m.com".

A Whois check shows that "250m.com" is going to expire on "15-Sep-09", about a week and a half from now. It's still owned by the "gentleman in Canada", but it also has it's Primary and Secondary domain servers set to "NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM" and "NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM". This is a practice know as "parking" and is often done when someone is getting ready to sell or move a domain name. If it expires, it will simply stay "parked" until the owner pays the rent, or someone else purchases.

What can you do to correct this? Not much. Any URL that includes "250m.com" will be redirected to the parking site. Until the owner of "250m.com" changed his/her Primary and Secondary domain servers, there isn't anything anyone can do.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
09-04-2009 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
windgrail

Hm, well thanks for the information (and I apologize for the lack of spell/grammar check on my last post as I was rushing a little too quickly).

What you said makes sense however I suppose I was assuming there was, at the very least, a temporary redirection option. I would have figured that a notification would have been sent otherwise.

Out of curiosity, does it state anywhere how long 741 is good for? I just want to try preventing as much as possible when it comes to last minute changes.

Thanks again!

09-05-2009 10:56 AM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

As I said earlier, 0catch is a partnership that includes multiple domains. A better explanation of what their partnership is all about, can be had througn their Become A Partner link. But this means that the partners can possibly break their relationship with 0catch any time they want to.

My web site is with "150m.com". I have been with them since June 2004. I speculate that it may be owned by the same person as "250m.com", but I don't know for sure. I guess I will find out when "150m.com" gets close to expiring (June 2010).

About the only thing you can do is do a WHOIS search and hope for the best. You can look up any domain name at WHOIS Search for Domain Registration Information. This will tell you when they are going to expire. As an example, "741.com" is due to expire "2017-02-20". If that's any indication, you don't have to worry for a few years.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
09-06-2009 09:23 AM
jamessleeve

Hi windgrail,

Well,What can you do to correct this? Not much. Any URL that includes "250m.com" will be redirected to the parking site. Until the owner of "250m.com" changed his/her Primary and Secondary domain servers, there isn't anything anyone can do.Just take the help of troubleshooting for the domain and its server problem.

Thanks

minerals
10-14-2009 11:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adambrown81
Unregistered

Hi
hen you redirect your pages via 301 redirect method, Google crawler must not show any errors. Is is showing errors means something is wrong with your redirection.
Google crawler is not finding some urls, signify that at least some pages are not being redirected correctly. In this way you can actually find out which urls are broken. OR you can use a free tool which helps you find broken links while 301 redirection is applied. means something is wrong with your redirection.
Yes, you can delete files on older domain to increase available web space. But since you are using unlimited webspace you must not be worried about webspace. Moreover you must check traffic ( in file size ) for older files. It must be very close to zero. If it is not something is wrong with your redirection.

10-26-2009 04:32 AM
Quote this message in a reply
windgrail

jamessleeve Wrote:
Hi windgrail,

Well,What can you do to correct this? Not much. Any URL that includes "250m.com" will be redirected to the parking site. Until the owner of "250m.com" changed his/her Primary and Secondary domain servers, there isn't anything anyone can do.Just take the help of troubleshooting for the domain and its server problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I suppose I never thought it as a possibility that the domain name would expire like that, however I suppose it makes sense.

11-30-2009 02:55 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites