Post Reply  Post Thread 
FTP Problems
kelex

Group: Registered
FTP Problems

I'm having problems with the FTP end of this, and have been for over a week. All of a sudden, about the last week of June, I guess, I have not been able to FTP to my account. I use an outside FTP client called WS_FTP LE 6.0, and ever since the end of June, I've been getting 450 Disk Quota Exceeded messages whenever I try to use FTP. I avoid the Java uploader like the plague because it's problematic for my computer, but I've tried uploading some of the files individually instead of through FTP, and they upload with no difficulty. I'm a Bronze package user, and I'm nowhere near my disk quota, so I have no idea what's going on. Please help!

07-08-2009 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: FTP Problems

I can only suggest a few possibilities. If none of them apply, you need to contact 0catch directly using the 0catch Tech Support Form.

First, are you sure you haven't reached your space quota? If you have a lot of images on your site, they can add up pretty quick. You can easily tell by going to the HTML File Manager. At the very bottom it shows the number of files, directories, and space used. I don't use a lot of images, but I have a lot of files, so mine shows "4249 files in 361 folders, 1550826 KB total".

Disk quotas often include a limit on the "number of files" you are allowed to have. I have no idea what that might be, but you can check with 0catch. There may be different limits based on you hosting package. I have a Gold package.

0catch has also recently run into problems where their disks are filling up, and they have to move a user's account to another server. This has happened to me. You may just be up against the overall disk limit. Again, for that kind of issue, contact 0catch directly using the 0catch Tech Support Form.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
07-08-2009 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kelex

Martin E. Meserve Wrote:
First, are you sure you haven't reached your space quota? If you have a lot of images on your site, they can add up pretty quick. You can easily tell by going to the HTML File Manager.

I know that; that's how I know I'm not near the limit, unless the Bronze Limit is a lot less than I think it is.

"16468 files in 140 folders, 283880 KB total" is my current total file amount and size; I have 5 Gigabytes available in total, and I'm not even using a quarter of a single gigabyte!

Quote:
Disk quotas often include a limit on the "number of files" you are allowed to have. I have no idea what that might be, but you can check with 0catch.

Again, I checked my hosting package, and while it doesn't specify "you can have X number of files," it does say that I have unlimited bandwidth and that I can use the site for image galleries--which is exactly what I'm doing.

Quote:
0catch has also recently run into problems where their disks are filling up, and they have to move a user's account to another server. This has happened to me. You may just be up against the overall disk limit. Again, for that kind of issue, contact 0catch directly using the 0catch Tech Support Form.

I think that's what I'm going to have to do, because it's getting to be a pain in the butt that I can't upload what I want.

This post was last modified: 07-08-2009 01:51 PM by kelex.

07-08-2009 01:41 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Well, your bandwidth is not really unlimited. You have a monthly bandwidth limit of 15Gigs. Yes, I know it says "Unlimited" next to the "Daily Bandwidth Limit". What they really mean is that, your daily bandwidth is not limited to 1/30 of your monthly limit, like a free web site is. If you want to use your monthly limit in a single day, you are free to do so. But once you reach the monthly limit, your site will be shut down, until beginning of the next month. That is, unless you purchase more bandwidth. Personally, I have never come near my limit.

It also says "Unlimited" for the "File Size Limit", but you know they mean up to the limitations of your "Disk Storage".

0catch doesn't list a limitation on the number of files you can have, but that doesn't mean the limitation doesn't exist. I don't recall ever seeing a web host that listed this limitation. I know of web hosts that will not list your files in the file manager, if you exceed 200. File indexes take up more room on a disk than you might think. Years ago we always had to increase "inodes" on systems that used a lot of files. Otherwise we would effectively run out of index space, long before we ran out of disk space. And, 16468 files is a fairly significant amount of files.

I don't know were you are, but you might want to try their phone support at 1-888-805-4495. I haven't talked directly to them in a while, but I have had good luck in the past. Good luck on getting your problem solved.

Martin E. Meserve
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
07-08-2009 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jamessleeve

Hi kelex,

Well, To understand these attacks, it is necessary to have a basic understanding of the FTP protocol .A client opens a connection to the FTP control port (port 21) of an FTP server. So that the server will be later able to send data back to the client machine, a second (data) connection must be opened between the server and the client.To make this second connection, the client sends a PORT command to the server machine. This command includes parameters that tell the server which IP address to connect to and which port to open at that address - in most cases this is intended to be a high numbered port on the client machine.The server then opens that connection, with the source of the connection being port 20 on the server and the destination being the port identified in the PORT command parameters.The PORT command is usually used only in the "active mode" of FTP, which is the default. It is not usually used in passive (also known as PASV) mode. Note that FTP servers usually implement both modes, and the client specifies which method to use.

Thanks

minerals
10-14-2009 11:46 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Quote:
Well, To understand these attacks,...

Who said anything about an "attack"? The information on the basics of a FTP connection is correct, but this is copyrighted material taken out of context (see link below) and doesn't necessarily relate to the issue. Why are you quoting copyrighted material?

Problems With The FTP PORT Command or Why You Don't Want Just Any PORT in a Storm

If you find relevant material on the internet, simply post a link to it or properly identify the source. That avoids any copyright issues.

Martin E. Meserve
10-15-2009 05:12 AM
adambrown81
Unregistered

Hi
More than likely your ISP is blocking ports 80 (WWW), 21 (FTP), and 25 (SMTP). They do this to stop you from running a server without paying the extra for a SOHO account.
There are work arounds.

DSLwebserver.com/
PortForward.com/
NO-IP.com

10-23-2009 05:37 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites