Post Reply  Post Thread 
<nobanner>
ZANXIL

Group: Registered
<nobanner>

Okay, so i want to remove the banner on my page, I've read that i should write <nobanner> somewhere close to <head>, but it isn't working. Can somebody please tell me exactly where it has to be?

05-02-2008 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: <nobanner>

The best place for the <nobanner> tag is between the <head> and </head> tags in each of your web pages. This insures that the tag is seen by the server before the the <body> tag is encountered.

Note that, this does not stop the popups. They will still appear and be annoying. Make sure you do a couple of browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R). This will insure that your browser sees the latest data.

If your still having problems, provide a URL for your site, that shows the problem, and we can take a look at it.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
05-02-2008 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZANXIL

it isn't working :/
can you tell me exactly where to put it in?

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>index</title>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Virtual Mechanics WebDwarf V2 250f ">
<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="false">

<style type="text/css">
.fsx01 {font-size: 11px;}
.fsx02 {font-size: 12px;}
.fsx03 {font-size: 13px;}
.fsx04 {font-size: 15px;}
.fsx05 {font-size: 16px;}
.fsx06 {font-size: 19px;}
.fsx07 {font-size: 21px;}
.fsx08 {font-size: 24px;}
.fsx09 {font-size: 27px;}
.fsx10 {font-size: 29px;}
.fsx11 {font-size: 32px;}
.fsx12 {font-size: 35px;}
.fsx13 {font-size: 37px;}
.fsx14 {font-size: 48px;}
.fsx15 {font-size: 64px;}
.fsx16 {font-size: 96px;}
.txdec {text-decoration: none;}

.dfltt {font-family:Times New Roman;font-size:14px;font-weight:normal;text-decoration:none;text-align:left;}
body {margin:0;height:100%;width:100%;}
</style>
</head>

05-03-2008 03:30 AM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

I have paid hosting with 0catch, but keep a free site on the side to verify any problems that free site users may have. I did try adding the <nobanner> tag into a test web site, and it worked just fine.

Try looking at sitebuilder.150m.com/Publisher. It's a dummy test site that I created in MS Publisher. The "Home" page that you see first and the page that says "Contact Us" have <nobanner> tags inserted in them. All the other pages do not have a <nobanner>. You should easily be able to see the difference.

As I said before, the best place is in the <head> structure. And example from your code is below.

<head>
<nobanner>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>index</title>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Virtual Mechanics WebDwarf V2 250f ">
<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="false">

But it can be anywhere in your code, as long as it's on a line by itself and not embeded in another HTML structure. The web server reads your entire page before deciding to insert a banner.

If you look at sitebuilder.150m.com//WebDwarf_Design/ you will see a sample WebDwarf design. I added the <nobanner> tag by simply clicking "Code" from the Component Bar (Object --> Code from the Menu) and then just entering <nobanner>. I then adjusted the size and position and published to my web site. Doing it this way, WebDward placed the tag a couple of lines from the very end of the document. As you can see, the <nobanner> tag works just fine no matter where it is.

Exactly how did you go about inserting the <nobanner> tag? Maybe your doing something incorrect.

You still haven't give a URL of your web site, so we can take a look.

Martin E. Meserve
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
05-03-2008 06:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZANXIL

the website is alltalent.fcpages.com,
it now somewhat works, but 1/30 times i get a banner anyways :/

05-03-2008 12:37 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

I accessed your pages dozens of times, and never once did I get a banner. It shows popups most of the time, and sometimes one of the popups appears to be a banner, but it's not.

You are working with several handicaps. The first of which is a free site. Web hosts do not make any money giving away web hosting fore free. So they suppliment that with banners and popups. This serves a dual purpose of annoying users enough to upgrade to paid hosting. Then all the banners go away.

Your next handicap is WebDwarf. WebDwarf uses absolute positioning and z-indexing to position it's graphics and text blocks. While this works fine for someone using paid hosting, this kind of code tends to overlay ad banners and popups. So the thing you think is a banner, is really a popup that your graphics are overlaying. Usually only the bottom shows, and the top, with the close button, is unreachable. This a problem with WebDwarf, not the hosting service.

I personally would not recommend WebDwarf to anyone. It may seem to work well, but it's really only a draw to purchase SiteSpinner. While SiteSpinner may be a perfectly good product too, I don't like their marketing approach. They take a well done product, hobble most of it's featues, and then send you to an advert about how to upgrade ($$). There are other free web page design applications that are just as good, and don't use those tactics.

The last problem my be with the "co.cc" domain name. Even though they tell you that it's a free domain name, it's not true. There is no such thing as a free domain name. You are really only getting a subdomain name, which you already have from "fcpages". So what you are doing is, using a subdomain, "co.cc", which privides you with a frame, which then sources your pages from "fcpages.com", another subdomain name. The frame wrapper is used by "co.cc" for advertising and tracking. And if you look into it, you will find out that a real domain name will only cost you between $10 and $20 a year.

Martin E. Meserve
05-03-2008 04:53 PM
ZANXIL

hmmm, so you would suggest i stop using co.cc and webdwarf?

05-04-2008 11:05 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites