Post Reply  Post Thread 
Dreamweaver FTP
darts501

Group: Registered
Dreamweaver FTP

I started out web designing by doing a course in hard coding HTML & JavaScript no web packages were used. I have since used MS FrontPage as the main design tool and reverting to my hard coding when necessary. Recently I purchased I believe to be the best web design suit on the market Dreamweaver CS3 will all it’s add-on’s Flash, Fireworks, Photoshop, illustrator etc. I had an old version which I really used but know I have decided it is time to embrace this software and use it to it’s full potential.

Although I can design sites fairly easily now using Dreamweaver I am still having an issue using the FTP that can be set up to transfer files from my PC to my online sites. I have in the past used the 0catch FTP which works well but when trying to use the Dreamweaver FTP the transfer fails. I believe I have set the FTP up correctly but not 100% sure.

Do any of the forum users use Dreamweaver FTP to transfer files to 0catch if so are there any issues I need to overcome that is not common practice?

David
04-21-2008 06:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: Dreamweaver FTP

Hi David,

What kind of error messages are you getting?

I have been writing computer code from the command line for far too long (>30 Years) to give it up. The most I ever upgraded to was a better text editor. But for you, I downloaded an evaluation copy of Dreamweaver CS3.

Since I'm basically lazy, and didn't really want to learn how to use it, and downloaded a template. I didn't do anything very extensive, but I was able to upload my lazy design without any real problems. You can see it at "www.k7mem.com/DW_Test_Site/".

The only issue I had was that, I was initially trying to upload the DW design to a folder that didn't exist. When I clicked on the "Test Connection" button the connection failed. So I connected with another FTP tool, Filezilla, and created the folder. Then The "Test Connection" button didn't have any problems.

I didn't try it with a multi-page document, but it was able to create a image folder and upload the required images (7). I imagine that there is a way to define multiple pages.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
04-21-2008 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
darts501

Group: Registered
RE: Dreamweaver FTP

Yes, the error was down to a folder name, I assumed it would be created if I pointed it my hosting space, hence it didn’t.

Why Dreamweaver? Well I have been HTML & JavaScript coding for about 4 years and took a UK coding exam known as City & Guilds. I have recently decided to do the CIW course. The course involves using Dreamweaver so I thought I would start getting to grips with some of the aspects of the program I don’t know. Dreamweavers approach to web design is a little different than some of the less well known packages it also allows for correct script writing and I have been known to miss as I see unnecessary script text out some time when coding and when testing with W3C I get to may error messages, hopefully a healthy balance between the Dreamweaver package and coding will prevail.

Thanks for taking time out to test this, I don’t need to use the Dreamweaver FTP but as I said I am trying to get to grips with it. I think it may be along process.

David
04-21-2008 11:25 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites