Post Reply  Post Thread 
Ocatch Custom 404 page
glowboy

Group: Registered
Ocatch Custom 404 page

Hello,

I was just wondering if someone could provide easy to follow directions on how to make a custom 404 "Page Not Found" page here at Ocatch?

Much Appreciated!

Dan -

04-19-2008 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: Ocatch Custom 404 page

Custom error pages are usually handled through a ".htaccess" file and a CGI program (perl or php). This means that you would at least need a Gold account to implement them.

At one time 0catch didn't allow custom error pages, but it's possible they do now. I have not tried it myself, but I know the general process. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

The only problem I see initially, is with the ".htaccess" file. Enabling CGI access generates a ".htaccess" file and that file is also needed by FrontPage users. Should you have to re-install FrontPage extensions or disable/re-enable your CGI access, you may need to re-edit your ".htaccess" file.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
04-20-2008 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Well, I gave it a try, but didn't have much luck.

I tried using a HTML file, a CGI script, and a PHP script but nothing seemed to work. I checked the files/scripts themselves, to make sure they were working right, but they all worked. The usual method for custom error pages is add an entry to the ".htaccess" file that redirects errors to your files or scripts. However, user use of some of the ".htaccess" directives can be disabled by the web host. This looks like the case.

My title on this forum says Administrator, but that is only for this forum. So I can't give you a definitive answer about the disabling of the custom error page directives. You might want to try using the 0catch Tech Support Form to contact 0catch directly.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
04-21-2008 07:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glowboy

Group: Registered

Thanks for checking this out Martin.

I'll go ahead and contact Tech Support directly to see if they can give assistance. I hope so because I am a "Gold" member.

Best Regards,

Dan -

04-27-2008 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jearl
Administrator

Paid members can put a file called:

error.html

in the root of their site and it will be displayed when there is an error.

05-28-2008 03:55 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites