Post Reply  Post Thread 
My website is only text. No background or images
taravillainapparel

Group: Registered
My website is only text. No background or images

I successfully posted my website, but only the text appears on my page. I tried making the images I had smaller as I heard that could cause problems but still have no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.
taravillainapparel.150m.com

01-20-2009 12:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
darts501

RE: My website is only text. No background or images

Hi Taravillainapparel,

With reference to the images not appearing on you website.

A few basic issues to check.

1. Have you transferred the folder containing the images? i.e the route to your images :

Example: /image/biz3_pic.jpg

Folder being image

2. The second thing to check is the stored text name:

Example: /image/biz3_pic.jpg If you stored image is Biz3_pic.jpg

then the image will not appear as the UNIX system is case sensitive.
The same goes for the folder name. and the file extension .jpg / .JPG

I suggest you look at this first. I have tried looking at a couple of your pictures directly and changing the most common errors to see if they will appear but I have had no luck.

David
01-21-2009 03:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

Big images cause a problem with bandwidth and download time. If you have too many big images, a free sites bandwidth can be exceeded, and the site shut down. Visitors with slow internet access, like dial-up users, would need to wait a long time for big images to load. And yes, I still know some people that use dial-up.

The image problem is a common issue with users who use WebDwarf. The fix depends on how you uploaded it to your site. WebDwarf can "publish" your web pages to a local folder or directly to your web site.

Publishing to a local folder is nice because you can test your pages, before they get to your site. Once your sure they work, you can use a FTP tool to upload everything. The keyword here is "everything". The built in images that WebDwarf uses, will be stored in a sub-folder named "geometry". Your other images may be stored a sub-folder that is named something different. So, when you upload, you need to upload your HTML file plus any support files that may be in sub-folders. The file/folder structure on your web site should be exactly the same as the file/folder structure on your PC.

FTP tools like FileZilla will let you select folders and drag them to your site. This will automatically create a folder on your site and upload the entire contents.

You can also upload directly to your web site. When you bring up the "Publish Website" window, you can select an "Export Destination" of "My Web Host". Make sure the box that says "Gather All Files" box is checked. If you then click on the "Sub Folders" button, you should get a window that lists your sub-folders. Again, be sure that the "Use Sub Folders" box is checked. Then click on the FTP tab and fill in your FTP information. Your FTP information is available to you from your 0catch User Manager. At the bottom of the page is a link that says "FTP Tutorial".

Once everything is set properly, publishing directly to your web site should copy all the required files.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
01-23-2009 08:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ameliguerra

Hallo, Martin,
I'm having a similar problem and already checked all the suggestions you gave.

No images show in my page.
Right now there's only a 'Coming Soon' alert, which is supposed to have one image.

Since I'm no HTML wiz, I had Publisher do the work for me. I created the page with it and had the program create the whole HTML thing and all. Then I uploaded the files. Now I did the same thing last term and everything worked alright. I just can't understand what's going on now.

Can you help me figure things out?

Thank you!!
Amelíe
http://www.amelieuvm.0catch.com

This post was last modified: 01-28-2009 11:42 PM by ameliguerra.

01-28-2009 11:41 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

The image on your web page is named "image2941.jpg". If I use the URL "http://www.amelieuvm.0catch.com/image2941.jpg", I can see the image. But your web page expects it to be in the "index_archivos".

When you created the HTML from Publisher, before you uploaded everything, there should have been a folder named "index_archivos". This is the folder that your contains your image. But when you uploaded the HTML and the image, you didn't retain the folder structure. Web sites have folder structures the same as your PC. If your HTML documents work fine on your PC, always make sure that the folder structure on your web site is exactly the same.

The fix is pretty simple. You can use the HTML File Manager or your FTP tool to create a folder named "index_archivos" and then put a copy of the image in that folder. Then put your URL in the address bar of a web browser and view it again. You will probably have to force one or two browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R) to make it update. But the image should then appear.

To make life easier when you upload your files, you may want to download and install something like FileZilla. This is a free FTP tool that will let you upload/download files to your site. With Filezilla you can select all your files/folders you need to upload, and copy them all in a single shot. Filezilla will create any folders on your web site that it needs. This will help keep the file/folder structure the same as the structure on your PC.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
01-29-2009 09:09 AM
ameliguerra

Hey, Martin!!

Thanks a lot for your incredibly prompt answer!! There are loads of things I don't understand with all this. I'm fairly decent at design, but the whole programming thing and such... As I read your answer I remembered a little problem I had last time and the way I solved it: trick the system!! When Publisher creates the whole HTML thing, the index page is automatically the first one. As the first time aound I couldn't find it (it's created outside the folder), I 'created' a new index. Made a false page one and started on page 2 and renamed it as intex.html.

As I remembered that trick (with the whole folder and such you told me), I tried that right now and... it worked!!

Thanks again and hopefully this trick helps others.

Amelíe

http://www.amelieuvm.0catch.com

01-29-2009 09:32 AM
David Morgan

Thanks for the trick. I was about to ask here about a similar problem, but turns out I just needed to read down the page a bit. Big Grin

Cheers,
David
Website Hosting
07-05-2010 05:14 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites