Post Reply  Post Thread 
0catch.com and Fourms
bizzareIRC.0catch.com
Unregistered

0catch.com and Fourms

Oh and i also wanted to know do you guys support PHPBB? And If Not Then Can I Get The Name Of The Company You Guys Use For fourm.0catch.com?

Thanks
Brandon bizzareirc.0catch.com

And if i can do i need to upgrade to use php because i am only using the free

12-18-2008 08:28 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

RE: 0catch.com and Fourms

Yes, paid hosting is required before you can use PHP scripts. Any kind of forum software is also going to require MySQL data base. But exactly which account you need is kind of blurry. If you go to "150m.com", they show a Business plan that supports PHP and MySQL. But if you go to "0catch.com" it shows a Bronze, Silver, and Gold plan and PHP/MySQL is only supported on the Gold plan. "150m.com" is one of the 0catch partners, so I'm not too sure why there is a difference. The Gold plan, under "0catch.com" offers far more file space and bandwidth than the "150m.com" Business plan.

I'm sure that PHPBB will work as good as any other PHP forum software. If you scroll to the bottom of this forum page, on the left you will see a link to the MyBB Group, for the software that 0catch uses.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
12-19-2008 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bizzareIRC.0catch.com
Unregistered

Martin E. Meserve Wrote:
Yes, paid hosting is required before you can use PHP scripts. Any kind of forum software is also going to require MySQL data base. But exactly which account you need is kind of blurry. If you go to "150m.com", they show a Business plan that supports PHP and MySQL. But if you go to "0catch.com" it shows a Bronze, Silver, and Gold plan and PHP/MySQL is only supported on the Gold plan. "150m.com" is one of the 0catch partners, so I'm not too sure why there is a difference. The Gold plan, under "0catch.com" offers far more file space and bandwidth than the "150m.com" Business plan.

I'm sure that PHPBB will work as good as any other PHP forum software. If you scroll to the bottom of this forum page, on the left you will see a link to the MyBB Group, for the software that 0catch uses.

ok but how would i do that
but can i do that without using php
and if i do then would i need to make more pages for my fourms?

12-21-2008 08:37 PM
Martin E. Meserve
Administrator

Group: Administrators

Quote:
ok but how would i do that

The MyBB group, and any other PHP forum code provider, provides you with a ZIP file that contains all of the PHP code for your forum. When you unZip the file you will find installation instructions. Basically you upload everything to your web site and run a configuration script. You will be prompted for lots of information, so be prepared. You MySQL data base information will be needed.

Quote:
but can i do that without using php

No. HTML, CSS, and Javascript alone is not sufficient to run a embedded forum. If you want something simple to try, go to Bravenet.com, open a free account and sign up for a free Message Forum. Their forums can be used on almost any web site, free or paid. They are not as extensive or full of features, like this forum, but they work.

Quote:
and if i do then would i need to make more pages for my fourms?

No, you won't need to make any more pages for the forum. The forum is completely self contained. It generates all of the pages you see dynamically from the PHP code. IMHO, getting the PHP code and installing it is the easy part, configuration is hard part. Once you get the PHP forum code installed, you need to go through the dozens and dozens of configuration items. You can create multiple forums and sub-forums. Manage registrations and users. Even down to what it says in the header. Some of the configuration items are really touch to figure out.

If you need any help, the group that generated the code has a very nice help forum. I have never had to actually post to the forum because a simple search has always turned up the answer.

Martin E. Meserve
http://www.k7mem.com
[ p.s. If you have a question about your web site, please include your web site URL in your posts. ]
12-23-2008 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bizzareIRC.0catch.com
Unregistered

You Know What I Will Just Stick With phpbb3/xphpb.com

12-23-2008 02:58 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites